skip to main content

Low Intensity Checklist

Please complete this form if your property is between 4 and 10 ha in size, if you believe it meets the definition of a low intensity farm in terms of the FEMP.

Low Intensity Farming System Confirmation Form

Please complete this form if your property is between 4 and 10 ha in size, if you believe it meets the definition of a low intensity farm.  If you have any questions please refer to the explanatory notes below this form and if you need further assistance please call one of the Land Management Team here at the Regional Council on 06 835 9200.

Notes explaining Low Intensity Farming System Criteria

 1.      Is your property greater than 10 ha?

  • If your property is less than 4 ha and is not operated as part of a larger farming enterprise it is exempt from the requirements of the Tukituki Plan relating to farm plans, so you do not need to complete a farm plan nor do you need to complete and submit this form.
  • The size of your property is considered to be the legal area stated on your title. It is not the effective area, nor are areas of land covered by lakes, ponds, streams etc excluded.

2.      At any time, do you carry more than 8 stock units per hectare?

Stock units provide a consistent means of measuring the amount of feed (or energy) consumed by an animal.  The stock units listed in the table below are the same as those used in the Beef & Lamb Benchmarking surveys. For those stock classes not listed/used in the B&L survey the default values from Overseer® are listed. To calculate the stocking rate divide the total stock units by the grazing area of your property.

 low intensity stock chart

 3.      Do you ever grow rotational vegetable crops on your farm?

  • This question relates to vegetable crops grown at a paddock scale – it does not relate to small domestic vegetable gardens.

 4.      Is your property a dairy farm?

  • Similar to above – if you hand milk one cow to provide milk for your own personal needs, your property would not constitute a dairy farm, but if you milk multiple cows and sell their milk, it would be considered to be a dairy farm.

 5.      Do you ever grow and then graze forage crops on your property?

  • Forage crops are things such as (but not limited to) maize, kale, chicory, plaintain and fodder beet.
  • If you grow one of these crops and it is cut and carried off your property (ie. made into silage that is taken off property) then you could still meet the definition of a “low intensity farming system”. It is the grazing of such crops in situ that is critical in this instance.

Low intensity checklist form


Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hawke's Bay Regional Council - / +64 6 835 9200 /