Hawke's Bay Trails
A 'Great Ride' on the NZ Cycle Trail - walk, run or bike it!
The Hawke's Bay Trails network covers 200km of cycling and walking off-road pathways the largest network of easy cycle paths in New Zealand.
The trails link Napier and Hastings, as well as coastal and country settlements. Running along the coast, along rivers, connecting wineries and cafes while taking in some stunning scenery of mountains, coastal lookouts, wetlands, orchards and vineyards. These easy trails are great to ride, walk or run any time of year.
About the Trails
With 200km of trails you can easily hop on and hop off any of the trails to make a shorter or longer ride. The surface of the trails is good, usually compacted lime sand, and ideal for people and unpowered vehicles like bikes and prams.
Download the map or see the image below.
Many of the trails are perfect for families; flat and easy with many different places to start your ride in both Napier and Hastings and everywhere in between. You can enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean and wetlands or if you want some variety there are lots of opportunities for stops at cafes and shops. You might like to explore the coastal communities of Haumoana, Te Awanga and Clifton with views of the iconic Cape Kidnappers or head inland for the more challenging Tukituki River Valley road loop, overlooking vineyards and orchards. If wine is your thing, then head out to the trails around the wine-growing areas of Bridge Pa, Gimblett Gravels and the Ngatarawa Triangle. With plentiful cellar doors along the way, there are many places to take a break and enjoy a wine tasting or platter among the vines.
The table below shows you some examples of the distance between some popular start/stop points:
|Bay View (south end)||Westshore (Pandora Pond||5.0|
|Westshore (Pandora Pond)||Port of Napier||3.8|
|Port of Napier||Awatoto||10.3|
|Awatoto||Pettigrew Green Arena||8.7|
|Awatoto||Pakowhai Country Park||7.2|
|East Clive||Black Bridge||2.2|
|Black Bridge||River Road||7.7|
|River Road||Havelock North CBD||3.7|
|Havelock North CBD||Hastings CBD||4.3|
|Hastings CBD||Pakowhai Country Park||6.8|
|Bay View||Havelock North||40|
Before you ride
- The Hawke's Bay Trails are predominantly flat with some gentle inclines here and there.
- Novice or beginner riders will enjoy riding most of Hawke’s Bay Trails. Some fitness and road riding experience is recommended for the Tukituki & Waimarama Road sections of the Landscapes Ride. There are bridges across all rivers and tributaries where required.
- There are toilets and facilities available at all cafes and wineries and public toilets are also located along the trails.
- Mobile coverage is available on all the trails.
- Take drinking water - although plenty of supplies on most of the trails it's a good idea to take your own on hots days or when going off the beaten track a bit.
- Motorbikes, quad bikes and other powered vehicles are not allowed on the trails.
- Horses are not allowed on the lime sand trails - instead use the dedicated Horse Trail.
- Please report any dumped rubbish or burning / pollution to our pollution hotline - 835 9200.
Government funding has enabled the project, together with leadership and additional funding from HBRC, together with an annual maintenance programme funded by each of the Councils that maintains the quality of the trail surface and the facilities.
HBRC has supported the pathways on its riverside land, across stopbanks and other protected areas. The pathways have been carefully constructed to meet flood control requirements when they run along river stopbanks.
The 'Bikes on Buses' service through goBay also helps cyclists get further afield to use the trails.
- Bike etiquette
- Cycling - Hawke's Bay Tourism
- iWay - HDC
- Rotary Pathways - NCC
- Sport HB
- Cycling Advocates Network
- Nga Haerenga - the New Zealand Cycling Trail