skip to main content

Enrol for local elections

Find out how to enrol, or check you are already enrolled, for local Council elections

Enrolling to vote in Elections

If you want to vote or take part in elections you need to to be enrolled to vote. Make sure you're enrolled and ready to vote – so you can have your say on the issues that affect you and your family. 

Who can enrol to Vote?

You are eligible to enrol and vote if:

  • you are 18 years or older AND
  • you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident AND
  • you have lived in New Zealand for one year or more continuously at some point.

For the purposes of registering as an elector, a permanent resident is someone who is entitled to live indefinitely in New Zealand.

  • If you hold a resident visa or a permanent resident visa and have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more you are eligible to enrol and vote.
  • If you are a Cook Island Maori, Australian, Niuean or Tokelauan you can enrol once you have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months – you do not have to hold a resident visa to enrol and vote.
  • If you have to leave New Zealand by a set date you are not a permanent resident for electoral purposes and you are NOT eligible to enrol and vote. This includes people who have student, work or visitor permits.

General roll or Māori roll?

Māori rohe pōti
Māori wards or constituencies

Hawke’s Bay Regional Council resolved to introduce two new Māori constituencies for the 2022 and 2025 elections. Find out more.

Only those electors on the Māori electoral roll will be able to vote for candidates standing for the Māui ki te Raki or Māui ki te Tonga Māori constituencies. Similarly, only those on the general electoral roll can vote for candidates standing for a general constituency.

Choosing your electoral roll

If you are of Māori descent and enrolling for the first time, you have an important choice to make. You need to decide which electoral roll you want to be on: the general roll or the Māori roll.

After you have enrolled, you can only change rolls during the Māori Electoral Option which takes place every 5 or 6 years (after the Census). The next Māori Electoral Option is currently scheduled for 2024.

Enrolling or updating your details is easy. Do it online here.


Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hawke's Bay Regional Council - / +64 6 835 9200 /