skip to main content

Do you need a Resource Consent?Me whai tono whakaaetanga rawa taiao?

We aim to provide you with complete information on resource consent requirements in the Hawke’s Bay region. Included in these pages you will find links to other reference material, technical information and guidance notes to assist you to make a thorough and accurate application.

TANK Plan Change

New rules, and amendments to existing rules, have been proposed by this plan change. These rules took legal effect on 2 May 2020. These rules have changed what may be undertaken as a permitted activity on the TANK Plan Change. area. There is more information about the TANK Plan Change here.

Find Application forms here

What is required

Mapping Tool2

The Regional Management Plan and the Regional Coastal Environment Plan set out the requirements for resource consents.  You may also need building consents from your local city or district councils. There is also other legislation which may impact on your requirements for resource consent, namely the National Environmental Standards.  You can find out more about the NES here and on the Ministry for Environment webpage

As well as using these webpages, we recommend new applicants in particular read the Everyday Guide to the RMA from the Ministry for the Environment.

What DON'T you need a consent for?

There are many activities where you don’t need a consent, these are known as permitted activities.  Permitted activities specific to the regional rules are:

- You can take small quantities of water (no more than 20 cubic metres per day, or 5 m3/day in the TANK Plan Change area) for use on your property in most parts of the region .

- You can burn vegetation and untreated wood outside most of the year, except during winter from 1 May – 31 August on properties within the Napier or Hastings airsheds.

What you DO need a consent for?

When your activities may have an effect on the environment then consents are necessary.  These webpages cover these activities in detail.

Taking water (groundwater or surface water) 

for taking water from a river, stream, lake or aquifer for use in production, processing, irrigation. Note: taking water for your domestic supply and stock supply requires no consent.

Discharging on site waste water 

for discharging treated domestic effluent from an on-site waste water system (septic tank) from industrial and trade premises.  Note: domestic on-site waste water systems may also require resource consent depending on the volume discharged, the type of system and the location.  

Discharging stormwater

for discharging stormwater into the ground where there is no connection to the local stormwater system

Discharging dairy farm effluent

for discharging effluent to land and to discharge odour and airborne contaminants to air

Discharging contaminants to land, water or air

for discharging contaminants to the air in certain situations.

Doing work in the bed of a stream, river or lake

such as installing a culvert or bridge

Building in a coastal hazard zone

any construction, building in the coastal hazard zone such as houses, decks, seawalls etc

Undertaking an activity in the coastal marine area

such as outflow discharge pipes, jetty or mooring installation or mussel farming

Bore permits

a permit to drill a well. Important: this is not a resource consent to take water from the well (see Taking water).

Transfers & other changes

  • transferring resource consents when a property is sold.
  • reducing the rate of take allowed as a condition of a water permit consent.
  • withdrawing an application before the decision has been made, ie. before the consent has been issued.
  • surrendering a resource consent that is no longer required
  • lapse of a date extension – extending the lapse date of a resource consent if the consent has not yet been exercised.

Who can apply for, or hold a consent?

Anyone can apply for consent for an activity on any property. Consents do not have to be held by the landowner and gaining resource consent does not guarantee land access.

For a company to hold a consent, it must be a New Zealand company registered with the New Zealand Companies Office.

Please contact our consents advisor for any advice on resource consent applications. 

How to apply

Applications can be lodged via email to the or physically to any of our offices, please check the front page of your applications Form A for full lodgement instructions.

Find out more about applying for a consent here.



Consents Telarc


Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hawke's Bay Regional Council - / +64 6 835 9200 /