Senior/Principal Groundwater Modeller
Hawke's Bay Regional Council now has a rare opportunity for a full-time Senior / Principal Groundwater Modeller to join their team in Napier. Reporting to the Team Leader Principal Scientist Hydrology/Hydrogeology, you will provide input to the activities and functions of the Environmental Science Team, ensuring the Science Section achieves its objectives.
This role is one of technical expertise, responsible for developing fit for purpose numerical models that will assist with the management of water resources in the region, specifically groundwater quantity and quality. Some of your day to day key duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Constructing appropriate conceptual groundwater models as required;
- Applying specific and appropriate knowledge to the interaction between surface water and groundwater resources, effectively assessing field practices, and providing quality information for wider Council use;
- Providing methods for determining the extent of the connection between surface water and groundwater to assist with resource assessment, allocation and regulation of abstraction;
- Delivering techniques and modelling of nutrient transport, which shows the impact on surface water and groundwater resources;
- Managing surface water and groundwater modelling components of complex technical projects; and
- Developing online tools that are appropriate for rapid and simple replication of model functionality.
To be considered for this position you will hold tertiary qualifications at a postgraduate level in Environmental Science, Engineering or other relevant discipline, along with significant experience in a similar role.The ability to use and build numerical models including MODFLOW for groundwater modelling, along with development of web-based tools, is imperative. You will have a thorough understanding of the interactions between surface water and groundwater resources, as well as experience in managing surface water and groundwater modelling components of complex (multi-disciplinary, multi-agency and multi-objective) technical projects.
Although not essential, experience with modelling to support regional water management would be highly regarded.
Hawke's Bay Regional Council is looking for someone to hit the ground running - you'll be well versed in identifying both needs and problems, and able to find solutions with initiative. A confident communicator, you will be skilled in stakeholder engagement and possess excellent report writing and presentation skills to a high level.
This position is being recruited via an external agent. To view the job description and apply please follow this link - https://applynow.net.au/jobs/108856-senior-principal-groundwater-modeller
12 March 2019
Back to News Archive