skip to main content

Activities in Coastal Hazard Zones

Information for resource consent applications for activities in coastal hazard zones.

Because we have a dynamic coastline, resource consents are required for building in any area defined by the Coastal Environment Plan as the coastal hazard zone (CHZ). 

Before you apply

Before you apply, please read:

Technical Information - Activities in Coastal Hazard Zones

Coastal hazards include tsunami, storm erosion and storm flooding.  The present-day extent and likelihood of various coastal hazard risks are expected to increase as a result of more intense storms and a rise of around one metre in sea level in the next 100 years. These are projections due to extensive climate change studies.  You can find out more on

You will need consents for any construction within that zone such as houses, sea walls, culverts. You many also need consents for constructing other structures such as decks, sheds, or on-site wastewater systems.   Also see the page on Coastal Marine Area

Guidance Notes

Please read the guidance notes below to assist you in filling out the application form.

Activities in the Coastal Hazard Zone PDF

Who to talk to

When applying for resource consent for activities in the coastal and marine area, there are cases you are required to consult with Customary Marine Title applicant groups before lodging your resource consent application.  Any resource consent application that has not followed the required consultation step will not be accepted by the Regional Council.  The views of the CMT applicant group are relevant to the Regional Council’s assessment of the environmental effects of your proposed activity.

Application Forms

Applications can be lodged via email to the or physically to any of our offices, please check the front page of your applications Form A for full lodgement instructions.

Administration Form 'A' (editable in compatible browsers)

Application Form 'B' - Building in a Coastal Hazard Zone

Contact Us

 You can contact the Consents Advisor  +64 6 835 9200 with any questions about the consenting process.

A resource consent is a legal document. Keep it in a safe place and check it regularly to be sure you are fully aware of conditions.

Consents Telarc


Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hawke's Bay Regional Council - / +64 6 835 9200 /