skip to main content

Now you have your consentKua riro tō whakaaetanga, ināianei me aha

By holding a resource consent, you will have ongoing contact with the regional council and we have outlined some of the responsibilities and contact information for you.

Mapping Tool2Holding a resource consent from Hawke’s Bay Regional Council is a formal, legal arrangement that allows you access to use a shared natural resource according to the consent conditions.

By holding a consent, you will have ongoing contact with the Regional Council and we have outlined some of the responsibilities and contact information for you.

What the Regional Council will do

the Regional Council has a responsibility to monitor your consented activities. We will make sure there are no adverse effects on the environment and check that you are complying with the conditions of your consent. 

Each year the Regional Council will provide you with information on the annual charges and any other relevant material or changes in the Consent Charges Guide available on our Consent Costs page. These charges are set by Council during the Annual Plan process earlier in the year, and in March/April you also have the opportunity to consider the proposed charges, and submit for or against these.

What you need to do

 1.Comply with all conditions

Once you are granted consent you become a legal consent holder. This means that you are responsible for meeting the conditions the Regional Council imposes on your activity. It is your responsibility to read through the consent document that the Regional Council sends you and ensure you comply with all the conditions.

If your consent is for a seasonal activity – such as taking water – we strongly recommend you check your conditions before each season starts to remind yourself and any staff what these conditions are and ensure you have the ability to meet them. 

 2. Pay all relevant charges

As the consent holder, you are responsible for paying the annual charges for your consent. Full descriptions of these charges are detailed in the Consent Charges Guide available on our Consent Costs page, or by contacting the Regional Council’s Consents Advisor. You will also be invoiced for the costs of consent processing and compliance officer visits.

3. Keep the Regional Council updated about address or activity changes

You are responsible for the ‘upkeep’ of the consent. This means that if the activity is to change you must notify the Regional Council using the appropriate form. For example, get in touch if you want to change any of the consent conditions (maximum volumes, crop type, irrigated area or discharge area, etc).

You must also advise us formally if your address or company name changes.

The Transfer and Changes forms are available online and the Consents Advisor can assist you in selecting the correct form.

4. Check important dates

Please ensure you check the key dates on your consent and diary these, including with any staff who need to know.

Issue/commencement date – This is the date when you are authorised to start carrying out your activity in accordance with the conditions - until one of the following dates given on the consent.

Expiry date - When your consent ends. It is typically on the front of the consent document under ‘Consent Duration’. We strongly recommend you diary this date, and a date 6 months ahead if you are likely to want to replace your resource consent; once your consent expires, if you have not applied to replace it then the activity cannot legally continue.

Lapse date - When your consent will end if you have not used it – a kind of ‘use it or lose it’ date.  Check for it on the front of your consent under ‘Lapsing of Consent’.

Review dates – When the Regional Council can review the conditions of your consent for any of the specified reasons. These are shown in the body of the consent document, typically under the heading ‘Review of Consent Conditions by Council’ with a designated month of year, eg ‘May of any year’.

5.  Changing your consent

Things do change and the Regional Council staff are available to talk over any issues and provide advice. However we cannot make changes to your legal consent document without an application from you, even if you have previously discussed the change with a consents advisor.

To make a change, you need to complete the changes form.

6.  Surrendering or transferring your consent.

If you no longer require the consent or wish to transfer the consent, you must complete a surrender or transfer form.

7.  Keep your consent in a secure place.

Your resource consent is a legal document. Keep it secure but check it regularly so you are fully aware of conditions.



Consents Telarc


Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hawke's Bay Regional Council - / +64 6 835 9200 /